19 April, 2008

A Word or Two About American Companies in Mexico



Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that I haven’t been here that long – today is my one week anniversary in Monterrey! – but that’s besides the point. No, wait, actually it isn’t; I’ve been here a week and I’m looking for a familiar face to make the transition easier. There, I’ve said it. In lieu of actual Americans, then, I’ll take American companies. Capitalism is just another way to say camaraderie, no? So today I went searching for the corporate representatives of my not-so-distant nation in the form of Citibank and H.E.B. Grocery Company. Well, I’m still searching. Despite the fact that both companies have “Store Locator” functions – and scores of locations in Monterrey and elsewhere in Mexico – everything south of the Rio Grande is a mystery. No really. Take Citibank: it lists over 20 locations in Monterrey but offers nothing in the way of an address or even a map. In fact, I’ve been here for a week now and seen a fair bit of the town but not one Citibank. Oh, and I’ve been looking, trust me – they have a lot of my money at the moment. Maybe they’re on vacation in Cancun.

So I never found H.E.B. or Citibank but I did find a grocer and a Laundromat and I got everything I wanted and more. So, it’s hard to get too worked up about this, because, well, life is good. I don’t need American companies anymore.* I’m no longer homeless, I genuinely like the roommates,** and the wind is blowing steadily through the mountains.

I could used to this.

* Although I’ll keep my American friends, thank you.
* Oh! I made them brownies today because I’m so happy to have a kitchen again and I’m adorably domestic like that.

1 comment: