17 April, 2008

Ups and Downs, or A New Apartment!

Today was a day that began with a low but ended on a high. The low is low, but hardly disastrous: I broke my camera this morning. Actually, to be completely fair, I broke my camera’s viewscreen* so although the rest of the camera seems to be working just fine, from here on out all of my photos will be quite literally of the “point-and-click” variety. On the bright side, while I may not be winning a Pulitzer any time soon I can still keep something of a photolog as I go.

Which is good, really, because today’s high point really deserves a picture or two. :) After a couple of days as a vagabond in the big city** I lucked into a lovely apartment on the southside of Monterrey. It's a situation eerily similar to the one I left and, frankly, I love it. I’m staying with a “local” couple – they’re actually from Sonora and would shoot me if they knew I called them local – named Sergio and Erika. They know a little English (Erika is actually just now beginning to study it formally) and I know a little Spanish. In theory, we're going to be teaching each other but so far it’s been a lot of smiles and charades. The place is a great as they are (only 2000 pesos [or $190] a month!) and man do I wish you could see my view. I live on the top of a hill, the last hill before the Sierra Madres. From my balcony it’s mountains until the horizon. It's, like, amazing.
Until you all come to visit me, though, a couple of scattered photos will have to do.




No comments: