13 April, 2008

On The Way In

I am now officially in Mexico - in fact I have been for nearly a week. Wow, thaA lot has (understandably) happened since I last posted, but here are the salient details:
- After no less than five long-distance bus rides in as many days, I can honestly say I prefer to travel at night. You may see less but you certainly sleep more. ^^
- Mexico in general is unbelievably spectacular and more than a little overwhelming. I think I'm quietly falling in love with it.

- A large factor in my love affair is Saltillo, a smallish city about an hour to the west of Monterrey. Apart from border control and a bus change in Monterrey, it was my first real taste of Mexico - and what a taste it was!




- Torreon was also lovely, if less "classically" beautiful. Still, it's hard to resist a giant Jesus. I mean, it's no Cristo Redentor but the again what is?




- Regardless, Monterrey is worlds apart from either of them or anything I have ever seen before. It is truly a modern, world-class city but (and this is the clincher) with history. I cannot wait to get lost in it!




With that, though, my time at the cafe is almost up and I still need to find an apartment - with any luck I can find a place before orientation on Tuesday!

No comments: