25 April, 2009

Yep. I’m definitely going to have to learn Korean.




It’s not for the reason you might think. I actually get along quite well with my charming little pantomines and bows. I want to learn Korean because I want to be able to tell all of the kind people I meet how kind they are. Because not a day goes by where I do not meet another quietly wonderful person and, frankly, komapsumnida just isn’t cuttting it.
Take this morning for example: while waiting for the bus* to go to work one of the teachers at the school I work in was driving by and, seeing me, offered – nay, insisted – on driving me straight there instead. How can I not want to thank him more elaborately for such a simple kindness?
Take Saturday for example. While climbing Mt. Gwanak in southern south I was literally saved from falling – granted saved from falling about ten feet – by another Korean man who, though exactly my size, basically hoisted me over the ledge I was scaling. He definitely thought he saved my life and, well, even if he didn’t he certainly restored some of my faith in humanity. Do you think they make a Hallmark card for that?
So yes, here I am, typing this entry and researching Korean immersion schools because, well… 내가해야합니다 [I must].
* A bus, I might add, that picks up not two blocks from my building goes directly to my office and costs all of 75 cents. I. love. Korea.

No comments: