01 April, 2009

I’m Moving to Korea



No, really. I leave in two weeks. I'll be recruiting other likeminded souls to teach English and be doing the same myself, ten hours a week, with pre-teens and teenagers in a government school in Anyang, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. I'll be gone a year.

A year.

The idea of Korea seems so random, so out-of-nowhere, I know. Only it isn’t. I’ve been planning this for about six weeks now – I was actually originally offered the job in December 2008 – but after the Mexican Immigration debacle I’ve been carefully trying not count my eggs before they hatch this time.

So now I've done my due diligence and I'm happy to report that I am ready to move to Korea.

Korea. Korea? Me in Korea? The guy who doesn't know a single word of the language?

Yes.

Hell yes.

After all, why not? Why not? You all know these two words constantly echo in my ears. Why not? I have been amazingly fortunate thus far but I want to see more of the world. The last two years have been the happiest of my life. I want to learn more and live more.

I want to be surprised.



Why not?

I'm not saying that I know the next five years of my future, but I do at least know the next one. Well, I know that's in Korea, if not much else.

So please do keep checking the site. My ambition is to keep an honest travelogue here that will take you along for new everyday adventures. So join me.

Thanks, or as the Koreans say ...

komapsumnida?

[Dear god, I have no idea how to pronounce that.]

No comments: