24 April, 2009

The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain…


… but the rain in Seoul mostly just falls. Which isn’t a big surprise or really a big deal, but try telling that to the people I see on the street. It hasn’t rained hard since I arrived but, apparently, in Korea, avoiding the rain isn’t a hobby - it’s a lifestyle. If a drop falls in Insadong then umbrellas are already up in Anyang, more than ten kilometers away. So, when my co-teacher Jung-Mi forgot her umbrella while she was – ever so kindly! – driving me to get my heath physical the other day, getting out of the car in the rain was simply not an option.

My question to her: Why can’t we just run for it? It’s just rain. I mean the rain in Seoul isn’t poisonous, is it?
Her response: Not exactly, no…

Yeah, I’m just going to pretend she’s joking…

PS All that having been said, the city really is quite beautiful after a little shower or two!

No comments: