12 July, 2009

Heading South

What a strange and wonderful world it is. Last weekend was white water rafting and river trekking; this weekend was dragon boat racing and temple visits.
So get this: a small industrial city in the south of South Korea, Ulsan, was selected as the site of the third annual International Dragon Boat Championships. I, like you, had no idea such a thing even existed but as it was scheduled for the same time as one of the biggest events of the Korean summer – the Boryeong Mud Festival – I was soon to become very well informed. See, even though the event was being held in Korea the competition from Boryeong kept Korean participation drastically low. So low, in fact, that they paid a group of Koreans and expats – myself included! – to head down there and compete. We weren’t representing Korea or anything (heck, we were barely representing ourselves) but it was damned fun. Best of all, this group of untried amateurs actually finished ahead of a couple of teams, taking fourth in a six boat race.

Hip-hip-hurrah!

...Totally fake...



...totally not!


Now, you know me; I had already committed my weekend to the races and so when they finished up around noon on Saturday, I didn't call it quits. No, instead of heading back to the city I got in touch with a local couchsurfer - Dave Swede, an absolutely amazing host - who put up with me, three friends, plenty of bad puns, and worse beer.
A good time was had by all but the real highlight was the next day. En route north to Seoul we decided to stop off in the ancient city of Gyeongju - home of Bulguk Temple, one of the three UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Korea. The temple was simply beautiful and the town itself like a living museum. The whole place was almost deserted - oh the joys of being a tourist in Korea!




A wonderful escape from the city and, all in all, I'd say it was a hell of a weekend.^^

No comments: