03 October, 2008

Surprise!: South America Here I Come



As the map above demonstrates, Cartagena, Colombia is clearly north of Panama* and therefore on the way home to Florida. Sure, right. Which, then, explains how exactly I ended up here [well, if add in the whole sailboat thing, I suppose], even if I wasn´t quite expecting to. Sure, right. In truth the decision was not mine - rather it was Astor´s captain, Richard´s - so even if I was not exactly expecting this, I am not exactly one to look a gift horse in the mouth; a little Colombia exploration is in order. (We will be in Cartagena for a few weeks, actually, waiting for hurricaine season to end, giving me more than enough time to explore in a somewhat limited range.)
After all, I started my trip southward thinking that there was no more necessary a stopping point than The Panama Canal - how was I to know it might just have been the beginning?

* ...and more to the point, of the San Blas Islands, from where the Astor began its trek northward.

No comments: