12 October, 2008

Mission Accomplished!



My hunt for mountains has led me farther south faster than I anticipated, so much the better!

Let me try to explain: Just as frustrated with hostels as I was with the flatlands, I contacted a (wonderful) CouchSurfer name Manisha and she's been as unbelievably welcoming from the word go. In fact, we just came back from two days of absurdity in Chinchina (not far from Manizales) where the landscape reminded me of Costa Rica and the people of the United Nations. Colombia in general and Manizales specifically is apparently a hotbed of English-language instruction to such an extent that it has attracted instructors from countries as diverse as India (Manisha), Nigeria (Doris), and The United States (Cathy). Throw into the mix a couple of locals (Jose, Carlos) and another [French] Couchsurfer and you have all the ingredients necessary for an unbelievable weekend, complete with hiking, swimming, and inadvertent hitchhiking.

I feel now like I am beginning to see the best Colombia has to offer and more than ever like I am the luckiest man alive!



No comments: