03 August, 2008

Movin´ On Up [to a deluxe apartment in the sky]

How lovely it is to be traveling with people again! It seems misery loves company,* and six of us stranded in Copan Ruinas decided to try our hand for the greener pastures of Antigua – which is about as far removed from Honduras you can be in Central America. True, not every country can be a Mexico or a Guatemala, but Antigua is truly a world apart: unstuck in time, it is a gem of a city which, if overly touristic, is so with good reason. Indeed, here in the middle of Western Guatemala I am reminded not of Florida but of Florence. Better yet, it has the only Irish Pub in Guatemala and as two of my new traveling companions are [Northern] Irish, tonight is a night for Guinness.
In the event that I do not survive, remember me with a pint.

* How much worse I feel for those few who showed up as we were leaving!

No comments: