07 August, 2008

8-7

What a strange day. On a whim I decided to give myself a day in Guatemala City and I´m glad I did - but perhaps for all the wrong reasons! Guatemala City, to me, is what I once, long ago, expected Mexico City to be like (it was, instead, entirely diferrent and far better than I could have ever hoped), and by far the most cosmopolitan place I´ve been in ages. All that is besides the point, however. As Central America´s largest city it is also at the forefront of U.S. Globalization efforts. So, in addition to seeing the National Palace (which, being green, is I´m told, adorably nicknamed the ¨Great Guacamole¨ by locals) and passing by my first U.S. Embassy - seeing the eagle crest for the first time in six months made me feel intensely patriotic - I also went to a Wendy´s. In fact, I am there now, enjoying one of the best (and most expensive) meals I´ve had in weeks. Who knew my stomach was homesick for Chili and a Frosty?

PS Later there was Taco Bell and, I kid you not, it was the best taco I´ve had since leaving Mexico.

No comments: