05 August, 2008

8-5

If I´ve been keeping a poorer record than usual, it´s not entirely my fault. After all, in the last few days both my paper journal and writing pen have gone missing - so you see it couldn´t be helped. (I am, scandalously, even going so far as to write this all-important first draft in pencil!) Aside from these losses, the last few days have found me on the move again, from Antigua to Lake Atitlan opposing shores and the towns of Panajachel and San Pedro la Laguna. Both were lovely, in their ways, but as is often the case, as different as night and day. Panajachel, the traditional point-of-entry for Atitlan tourists is simultaneously a tourist hub and commercial port in miniscule, and I hended only one day to decide its dolí frantic pace wasn´t for me. I hended a bit more time in San Pedro to discover the same thing. Almost too tranquil, San Pedro is two towns in one: tradicional highland village (of shorts) and, entirely separate from that, a backpacker haven. In both cases its the kind of place where time stands still and people get stuck. Lord knows I almost did – tose Norweigan girls can be bewitching.* Others were less (more?) fortunate. Still, both were an interesting slice of life, and like so much of Guatemala, achingly beautiful. Indeed, there is a campaign afoot in both communities to have Lake Atitlan declare one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World and they certainly have my vote.

PS Oh, and this bears repeating: every form of transportation I´ve used in Central America has officially broken down at least once, most recently (and notably) the tiny launcha I took across Lake Atitlan. No worries, though, all´s well that ends well and I love it here all the more for it!

* I´m looking at you here, Julie. :)

No comments: