17 July, 2008

Letter Home

This is the best approximation I can present of the current state of Frankel Affairs, in its entirely, from a letter home:

"I've been on the road for a few weeks now - Kim, sadly, is already on
her way back to the States I believe - but my frantic pace has finally
eased up long enough to sit down and right this letter. Kristin,
needless to say, is relieved to have the break. ^^ Things are almost
exactly as they should be: after a few wonderful days with Kim and her
friend Amy in Mexico City and Oaxaca [both of which were spectacular
in so many ways], Kristin and I have finally made it the point in my
journey which brings us closest to Florida - the Yucatan. So close and
yet so far. I'm on the northwestern side of the Peninsula, in the
small town of Celestun with some friends who live right on the beach.
It's almost idyllic: although so many things have changed since
leaving Monterrey (even the language; I hear more Mayan words every
day), the beer is still cold and the beach is gorgeous. Consistency is
nice, in that regard. It's nice to have the break, to be honest, to
sit back and reflect, to digest rather than experience for a few days.
The ruins as Palenque in the state of Chiapas were beautiful, for
example, but in many ways its only now, out of the heat and in
retrospect, that I can begin to truly appreciate it. Unfortunately,
I'm doing a lot my reminisces by way of memory because some theft
issues have left me without my laptop, cellphone, or camera. Don't
worry, I am perfectly fine, they were simply lifted from my bag when
it was out of my possession and I'm left with little recourse but, of
everything it's the photos I miss most of all. Even now, only a day
after the fact, I'm not angry, just disappointed and a little sad.
They were my lifelines back home and now I feel a little more adrift
that ever. I'll be replacing them when I can, so in the long run I
think little will be changing, so there we are: I am, if anything,
only temporarily at sea. Bad news aside, Mexico is amazing and perhaps
the reason I'm dealing with everything so well. Indeed, my classes are
over, the grades in, and with a little bit of paperwork I'll have my
Master's in December so, as I work my way south, everything is as it
should be in that respect, too. It's amazing, really. I've seen so
much already and fallen so much in love with this country (thieves
aside) that the distance between here and Costa Rica inspires far more
eagerness than trepidation."

So that's it. That's where things are. Sadly I have no exciting pictures or even good stories* for you today, but wherever you are I hope all is well.

* For that, I think, you have to be the one buying the beer... ^^

1 comment:

that (Asian) American Girl said...

You cut your hair?! When was that?

I'm very sorry about the loss of your extremely valuable valuables. It always feel so regretful, and I hope they can be replaced soon.

How far south will you be heading? I recently wrote a very brief paper on complex societies in pre-Columbian Amazonia - good stuff! It's lovely to hear the updates from you. Take care!