22 July, 2008

In Belize

So Chetumal has resolved itself of its own accord, and with it Mexico. How strange it is to say, but I feel like I’m leaving home all over again (even if I did leave what passes for my home in Mexico weeks ago). Still, after all my [incredibly fortunate] travels, Mexico is the country I was, uninterruptedly, in the longest. So, again, it’s strange to be going through another border cross and also bittersweet because I truly loved it there. I miss it already.
Still, the open road is calling my name and – surprisingly – its in English. I’m on the road now, halfway between Chetumal and Belize City, near Orange Walk Town – and it just feels strange to see so much English. To speak it, too, as the chicken bus I’m riding in has more English-speakers than not. A bizarre welcome to Belize, but a welcome nonetheless.

No comments: