17 May, 2008

Sometimes I really do feel like a stranger in a strange land.

So I’m settled in here, more or less, but there are still certain things that surprise me. Take, for example, wine:



At the beginning of the semester I did a brief study for one of my classes on beverage consumption in Mexico. Unsurprisingly, water comes in a distant third behind beer and soda (which is consumed, on average, more than any of the other six categories combined). But do you know what doesn’t even chart? You guessed it – wine.* Which is a shame, really, because, well, I like wine. Do you know what I also like? Buying bottles of wine as small thank you gifts, like I did for my roommates in honor of our first month together. They were, I think, touched, except they (we) don’t own a corkscrew. Nor do our neighbors, or anyone else in the building. They don’t even sell them at the grocery store.

I can’t tell if this is funny or tragic, but on the bright side, the apartment has a lovely new decorative piece!

* The actual statistic, I kid you not, is 300ml per capita per year and is no doubt mostly from Catholic Mass. [I conferred with Britton and he agrees.]

No comments: