02 May, 2009

Taking the Cell Phone Plunge and other excitement in Itaewon

Today, Saturday, was rainy and quietly gloomy so I took the opportunity to spend some time running errands. Of course this Korea and I've only been here for about ten days so simple errands become serious midadventures.
So I woke up and headed to Itaewon because I received a tip from a fellow CouchSurfer that absolutely unbelievable deals on cell phones could be found there. In the end she was right - it took some serious searching to find a distributor - so I took the plunge and bought and Korean cellphone. It cost roughly $50 dollars, is prepaid with about $20 of talk time, and is named George. The number is 010-5784-4765 and no, I don't have any idea how to call that from the USA. Ask skype; it will be activated on Monday morning/ Sunday night.
But, but, but - and this is exciting part - in addition to having cheap cell phones Itaewon also has the largest concentration of foreigners in Seoul, a mosque, and food that goes with them. So while there - and while most of the things in my local street market seem like little more than vague mysteries - I went to the halal markets and loaded up on the essentials. You know, chick peas, curries, and so on. One of these days I'll get up the courage to make my own hummus... and when I do, I'll be sure to call and tell you all about it.

No comments: